Newry is a city in Northern Ireland. The River Clanrye, which runs through the city, forms the historic border between County Armagh and County Down. Newry has a reputation as one of the best provincial shopping-towns in Northern Ireland, with the Buttercrane Centre and The Quays attracting large numbers of shoppers from as far away as Cork.
& Mourne Museum
& Mourne Museum.
Use + and
- to zoom in and out. Drag the little man to use street view.
Karting You can relax and enjoy a coffee whilst overlooking
the Three Top Class Racing Tracks. Birthday Parties, Corporate
events, Hen and Stags, School and Youth Groups and many more.
Private Car Park (Bus & Coach Parking also),Digital Display Results Board, Amusement Arcade.
Newry & Mourne Museum. Established in 1986, Newry and Mourne Museum aims to provide a dynamic, recreational and educational resource reflecting the rich cultural heritage of the local area. The museum's diverse collections currently include material relating to Newry's Cistercian foundations, Ulster's Gaelic Order and its relationship with the English Crown; the building of a merchant town and the first summit level canal in the British Isles; the working life and folk traditions of rural and mountain areas; fishing, trade and migration by sea and modern experiences of a Border area.
Ballymacdermot Cairn. This monument, lying on the southern slopes of Ballymacdermot Mountain close to Newry, is an extremely well preserved Neolithic burial site with three chambers. It can be dated between 4000 and 2500 BC. Situated within the Ring of Gullion Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the site offers excellent views of Slieve Gullion and the smaller hills of the ring dyke as well as the Mourne and Cooley mountain ranges. Neighbouring Bernish viewpoint offers excellent views over Newry and further afield.
Killevy Churches This site at the foot of Slieve Gullion contains back to back churches; the West Church dates from 11th Century and the East Church from 15th Century. It is also the site of an early monastery founded by St. Moninna in 517. The smaller and older is characterised by an impressive, low lintel doorway built of three massive shaped granite stones. The more recent building, has a very impressive arched window with angel carvings still visible on its outside. The large tree-lined graveyard is still in use today.
Cathedral is a Roman
Catholic cathedral located in Newry.
Newry Cathedral was begun in 1825 and completed in 1829.
The cathedral was enlarged and beautified by Bishop Henry O'Neill, who succeeded Bishop McGivern in 1901.