Newport is a cathedral and university city in south east Wales. It is located on the River Usk close to the Severn estuary, approximately 12 miles N.E. of Cardiff. The main shopping streets of the city centre are pedestrianised and include High Street, Newport Arcade, Market Arcade, Commercial Street, Skinner Street, Bridge Street, Upper Dock Street, Market Street and John Frost Square.
Museum & Art Gallery
Use + and
- to zoom in and out. Drag the little man to use street view.
Vue Park opened in 1894 and has many features typical of a
Victorian public park, including conservatories, pavilion, bandstand
Following a successful bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Belle Vue Park restoration project set about restoring the park buildings and recreating the original planting scheme.
Newport Cathedral The present building has sections that date from Anglo-Saxon times. In the 9th century the wooden church formerly on the site was rebuilt in stone. Part of this building is now incorporated into St Woolos cathedral as the Galilee chapel now at the west end of the Cathedral. Circa 1050 the church was attacked by pirates and left in ruins. Circa 1200 the Saxon church was repaired so the Norman entrance became an internal archway.
Newport Museum & Art Gallery has been collecting evidence of Newport’s history, culture and environment since 1888 to tell the story of Newport from prehistoric times to the 20th Century. The most ancient artefacts in the museum are tools made by hunter - gatherers who walked the shores of the Severn estuary hundreds of thousands of years ago. The Roman collections rank amongst the best in Wales, comprising material excavated from the Roman town of Caerwent and the fortress at Caerleon.
Newport Transporter Bridge crosses the River Usk in Newport. The transporter bridge is very rare, with only eight remaining in use worldwide. Used by motor vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians including buses and multi sized lorries. The Visitor Centre is located on the west bank and features exhibits about the history of the bridge, and other transporter bridges around the world.
House is a 17th-century Charles II country house mansion at
the western edge of the city that for over five hundred years was
home to the Morgan family, later Lords Tredegar.
Described as "The grandest and most exuberant country house in Monmouthshire and one of the "outstanding houses of the Restoration period in the whole of Britain. The mansion stands in a reduced landscaped garden of 90 acres