Chester, is a city in Cheshire, England. Lying on the River Dee, close to the border with Wales.Chester has a number of medieval buildings, but some of the black-and-white buildings within the city centre are actually Victorian restorations. Chester is one of the best preserved walled cities in Britain. Apart from a 100-metre section, the listed Grade I walls are almost complete.
Clock and City Walls
|Chester Roman Gardens.
|Cheshire Military Museum
|Eastgate Clock and City Walls
|Use + and
- to zoom in and out. Drag the little man to use street view.
Eastgate Clock and City Walls stand on the site of the original entrance to the Roman fortress of Deva Victrix and is said to be the most photographed clock in England after Big Ben. The original gate was guarded by a timber tower which was replaced by a stone tower in the 2nd century, and this in turn was replaced probably in the 14th century. The present gateway dates from 1768 and is a three-arched sandstone structure which carries the walkway forming part of Chester city walls.
Church of England cathedral. Since 1541 it has been the seat of the Bishop of Chester. Admission to Chester Cathedral is free, but donations are requested. A donation of £3.00 per person is suggested.
A number of tours are available with illustrated guides available in the shop.
The UK's number one
zoo with over 11000 animals and 400 different species.
Open daily from 10am with free parking.
Opened in 1931 by George Mottershead and his family, who used as a basis some animals reported to have come from an earlier zoo in Shavington.
The museum covers the history of four British Army regiments connected with the County of Cheshire from 1685 onwards: the Cheshire Regiment, the Cheshire Yeomanry, the 3rd Carabiniers, the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, and also the Eaton Hall Officer Cadet School. The museum is located in the former A block at Chester Castle.
Gardens date from the 1950's when a public park was created to
display a collection of finely carved building fragments from the
Roman legionary fortress of Deva. Set alongside Chester's famed
walls and leading down to a pleasant sitting-out area alongside the
bank of the River Dee.